At Neon, we have the opportunity to work with thousands of nonprofits who do amazing work. But each month, we spotlight one of our clients doing something particularly exciting!
This month, we’re honored to spotlight The Texas Catholic Conference of Bishops — an organization working to represent the Catholic population and leadership in Texas.
The organization joined the Neon community last year. They have a NeonCRM database, as well as an Inspire website — that they built entirely by themselves!
What they do
Mission Statement: The Texas Catholic Conference of Bishops is the association of the Roman Catholic bishops of Texas. Through the TCCB, the bishops provide a moral and social public policy voice that includes monitoring all legislation pertaining to Catholic moral and social teaching; accrediting the state’s Catholic schools; and maintaining records that reflect the work and the history of the Catholic Church in Texas.
Why it matters
There are more than 8 million Catholics in Texas (wow!), and TCCB includes all 15 Texas Bishops on its board. They provide resources to local Catholic pastors, as well as many other community-focused activities in Texas.
The TCCB has 3 major parts of their mission:
- Catholic Representation. With specific Catholic-related legislation, the TCCB will lobby on behalf of the 15 Bishops they represent and provide a public voice for the 8 million Catholics in the state.
- School Accreditation. TCCB works with the state to accredit and monitor Catholic schools in Texas. Their website also includes Catholic school directories and resources for parents and students looking to learn more about Catholic schools in the state.
- Archives. The organization keeps a meticulous record of Catholic activities and history in Texas. Their archival center is open for researches, and contains documents and records dating back to the 16th century. TCCB also publishes Catholic Southwest, a journal that features essays and cultural pieces about Roman Catholic history and experience in Texas.
How they do it
With Neon, TCCB has been able to save time — and that time adds up to about one part-time staff person saved each year. When they were looking at database options, they needed something that was robust but flexible enough to work well with all 3 major areas of their mission.
A tight integration between their front-facing website and their CRM has been critical for TCCB. It allows them to save time, and the integration between Neon’s CRM and Inspire websites makes it easy for staff to update information on the front and back ends.
Because their supporters are scattered across the (huge) state of Texas, TCCB relies on their website to communicate and engage with their audience. The site is very resource-heavy, so constituents from all across the state can get the information they need from TCCB in just a few clicks.
TCCB built their website with Neon’s Inspire nonprofit website builder. It’s built on WordPress, the Internet’s most robust website platform and content management system. As TCCB’s Helen Osman says, “People can’t break it!” The staff is already up and running on the new website and CRM, because they’ve found the platforms to be very user-friendly and easy to learn.
Advice to nonprofits looking for software or a website
We talked to TCCB’s Helen Osman about her best tips for other nonprofits looking for software — and what she wished she knew before starting this process. Here’s what she had to say:
- Do a lot of research in the discovery phase.
- Understand the long-term goals of your organization, and try to find software that can help you achieve them.
- Know that people will want to customize their interface with your organization.
- Choose a system that allows people some control over how they hear from you.
- Make it easy for people to find you online!
- What are your website visitors looking for? Make sure it’s easy to find on your website.
- Put your organization’s most important information first on your site.
- Be smart and invest time and energy into SEO strategies.
Are you looking for a new nonprofit website solution and want to know more about TCCB’s experience? Click here to learn more about our Inspire nonprofit website builder.