There’s no denying it — #GivingTuesday has become a worldwide phenomenon. What started as a grassroots movement meant to balance out holiday season spending is now a donating-driving powerhouse.
Still not sure if your organization should get involved in the fun? Check out these Giving Tuesday statistics and see if you change your mind.
1. Since 2012, #GivingTuesday has generated over $1 billion dollars in the US.
Giving Tuesday has seen some consistent year over year growth since their start in 2012. The movement broke the billion-dollar mark in just 7 short years.
2. In 2018, #GivingTuesday campaigns brought in nearly $400 million in donations….
#GivingTuesday 2018 raised over $380 million dollars in online donations, which is a 45% increase from 2017’s Giving Tuesday results.
3. …From 3.6 million online gifts.
3.6 million people across the U.S donated to a #GivingTuesday campaign.
4. The average online gift amount was about $105.
That’s $23 dollars less than the average online gift amount of $128.
5. As a whole, #GivingTuesday campaigns received over 14.2 billion social media impressions.
Fun fact: 55% of people who engage with a nonprofit on social media end up getting involved, either by donation, membership, or volunteering.
6. In 2018, nonprofits raised over $125 million using Facebook Fundraiser, from 473,000 donors.
Probably due to the gift matching program launched by Facebook and Paypal. The companies agreed to mirror the first $7 million dollars in donations, sparking a sense of urgency among donors.
7. Nearly 3/4ths of those donors had never donated through Facebook before.
#GivingTuesday is a great way to get your organization in front of new eyes. Make sure you’re retaining all those donors by having a plan for Wednesday, as well.
8. 28% of people participated by making donations, but 37% gave in other ways.
#GivingTuesday involvement isn’t limited to just donations. 37% of participants chose to get involved by donating food, clothing, and other forms of nonmonetary giving. 35% did both
9. Giving Tuesday is active in 150+ countries.
When people call it a global movement, they’re definitely not kidding. #GIvingTuesday has a presence on almost every continent, excluding Antarctica.
10. 46% of donors have never heard of #GivingTuesday.
Which, in our eyes, is pretty impressive. That means the movement has been able to exceed $1 billion dollars in donations with only half of all donors active. Imagine what could be done with even more organizations involved!
All of Giving Tuesday statistics included are courtesy of the #GivingTuesday website and the 2018 Global Trends in Giving Report. Are you joining the #GivingTuesday movement? Let us know in the comments below!